Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Verifying Data For Text Files from vendors

So, I'm gathering feeds from a vendor. It's turning into be a pain in the ass. Here is what I gathered to make it easier the next time. I tried on numerous occasions to send documents with Data specifications. What I found out was they were not reading the specifications. And were just relying on me to review the data that was coming to us. So then I started to debug based on what data was sent. This initial process of course was more time-consuming on my part. But once I figured out what they were doing it's went faster. The good thing is that all the data specifications created can use internally on my end.

  1. Find out all of the fields available.
  2. Determine the initial set of fields needed.
  3. Have them start sending the feeds.
  4. Evaluate the file sense. Considering this set of feeds has headers I copied the header and example data.
  5. I took that header and example data and showed them a before and after of what the data should look like.
  6. Continue steps four and five until this is complete.

No comments: